bixenon Projector Retrofit. **kouki retro in progress**

Re: 7x6 bixenon Projector Retrofit. **Prototype #2 on page

RocklinMike300zx wrote: Damn, lookin good man. I may have to sign up for a set this summer if you're down.
    Man im always down!

Well the prototype #2 glass is going great. My friend had an issue with very little water getting in. So I played with the bulb and the little rubber gromet. It should fit snugly to prevent water from getting in. It shouldnt be an issue in our z because our lights sit flat.

My Build Thread

[quote]Ven wrote:
    Originally posted by J18199
    nice dude, cant wait to see my kouki lights
    Yes, I'd like to see the kouki lights.
    See what? :-D

So for J18199, I decided to use this setup. He has a pretty agressive looking car with lots of angles. I wanted to go for a sharp look, and this shroud matched perfectly. This is the apollo shroud.

In the last picture I used semi gloss paint, I personally dont like it. If you look closely you will see that I just painted over the messed up chrome. I just wanted to paint it black to see how it would look. I picked up some satin paint, and paint stripper to clean up the headlight last night.
    My Build Thread

what are you going to use for a clear lense?
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

edicer2 wrote: what are you going to use for a clear lense?
    Acrylic. But I'm going to go a little thicker than normal, and instead of a thin piece of plastic I was going to make it look a little better Kind of hard to explain.

I wanted to vacuum form the lens, but I don't have an oven for it. So I was going to get a piece of acrylic and make "legs" behind it so that it sits in the groove of the headlight. If I get a standard piece of acrylic and just slap it on the glue would be all spread out and look like crap.
    My Build Thread

yeah i hear ya ill have to keep a a eye on what you end up doing then.
    86 NA
    87 Turbo

Haha you have the zenki front end, what you worried about lol
    My Build Thread

862sik wrote: Haha you have the zenki front end, what you worried about lol
    I think he means for his other car, its a 87 haha.
    1989 Nissan 300zx Turbo "MAW Edition"
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10617

^^ bingo.....might want to do this to both z's if they come out well! (87t and a 86na)
    86 NA
    87 Turbo

if you were crazy you'd grind/polish the fluting out of the glass of the kouki lenses so you don't have to do any lame shit with acrylic to try and make that work :nanan?re

good reference on lens polishing: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=131958

Glass polishing is a pain in the ass lol. I just tried that with my headlight lenses to get rid of the pits. After wetsanding with coarse grit 80-120, working all the way up to 2000 grit, it was still cloudy. Had to buy some cerium oxide powder to polish the glass afterwards, as regular compounds won't touch the harness of glass, Came out decent, but still not close much better than it was haha. Just way too many hours of work.

yeah, it's a bitch and takes a lot of work and especially if you're doing something as insane as polishing the fluting out to clear (you'll probably blow up your first one or two lenses doing it) but I think the results are a lot nicer looking.

edicer2 wrote: ^^ bingo.....might want to do this to both z's if they come out well! (87t and a 86na)
    Ah gotcha.
    My Build Thread

Andrevas wrote: if you were crazy you'd grind/polish the fluting out of the glass of the kouki lenses so you don't have to do any lame shit with acrylic to try and make that work :nanan?re

good reference on lens polishing: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=131958
    I wouldnt mind, but with the glass…it takes a little bit away from the output. I really dont want to be grinding glass for a long time lol.

He had it easier, and just keeping the cutting in one spot. Since I have a shroud on mine that I would like to show off it would be more work to do the whole lens.
    My Build Thread

I wondered how it would look if i painted the chrome black on the shroud and stock light. I may want to do that since my car is also black.

Sharpen047 wrote: I wondered how it would look if i painted the chrome black on the shroud and stock light. I may want to do that since my car is also black.
    It may look cool…but you will loose lots of light with the halogen. But why would you want to remplace your projectors for stock?
    My Build Thread