NisTune Info (link)

• jaqattack02;314276 wrote: Has anyone used a pro sport wideband with a nistune ecu? Anything I need to know to get it working? I didn't see it listed in the documentation.
    You need to buy the DLP Design A/D converter. You connect your 0-5v analog output to it and it outputs a digital signal to your PC via USB for logging. The converter is $30 and there's a link to it from Nistune's FAQ page in the list of supported wideband units. Any wideband with a 0-5v analog output will work with Nistune using this converter.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

• Unless you use something like innovate over serial/usb

• G-E;340602 wrote: Unless you use something like innovate over serial/usb
    Well yeah, if you have a wideband unit that comes with its own datalogger, you wouldn't need the DLP Design thingy. I just meant that any wideband sensor that outputs a 0-5v analog signal will work with the DLP unit.

• My question is unanswered…I'll direct it to the maker himself.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

• Augustus Maximus;340686 wrote: My question is unanswered…I'll direct it to the maker himself.
    Careless and GE both answered it. Nistune's people will tell you pretty much the same thing. Nistune's software runs on your laptop and you connect it to your Nistune daughterboard-equipped ECU; once you get a tune you like you use the software to burn it to the NVRAM in the Nistune daughterboard and it becomes a standalone. You can disconnect the laptop after that but you still own Nistune. If you change injector sizes you can hook up the laptop again, run Nistune, re-tune, re-burn, disconnect the laptop again. You can do this as many times as you want.

Think of the tune like a can of paint and the laptop running Nistune as a paint brush. Once you take the paint brush out of the can, clean it and put it away, it's not like the paint disappears from your walls. When you want to paint a different color, you get the paint brush out and use it again until your wall is painted, then you clean it and put it away. The new color still stays on the wall, and the paint brush doesn't disintegrate or become non-functional after applying a coat of paint.

I apologize if I come off as patronizing; it's not my intention. Just trying to come up with a basic analogy.

• Augustus Maximus;340686 wrote: My question is unanswered…I'll direct it to the maker himself.
    your question has been answered.
    when you BURN the image after tuning it, it stays on the chip that is on the nistune board.
    you do not need to use the nistune software after.

if you remove the nistune board, you are removing the chip that houses the ROM/BIN for your tune.
    if you want to remove the nistune board from your ECU to sell it but you want to retain the tune, you have to get someone to burn a 28pin EEPROM just like the one that was taken out of the board to install nistune. You take your bin file you edited (basically your tune), burn it to the new chip, insert it into the socket where your nistune was, essentially making it a stock ECU again, but with a different program/tune.

The PROM is basically a chip like a CD-RW disc. You burn it, and the files stay on it until you reburn it.
    Nistune is essentially a computer with a writer that allows you to burn the CD-RW/PROM.
    The ECU is basically a CD player with only minor write capability (i.e. clearing codes).
    You dont need to boot up the computer (nistune) to load up the CD (eeprom) if you have the disc in the player (ECU).

and i guess your car would be the speaker system or monitor. lol

• Parker, you gotta cut back on the shrooms, seriously, paintbrush?

• i thought it was a good analogy. but we're talking about electronics so I used CD-RW's as a different example. lol

edit: you got a problem with shrooms? they awesome.

• Got it…
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

• G-E;340697 wrote: Parker, you gotta cut back on the shrooms, seriously, paintbrush?
    Dude I've worked 30 straight 12-hour days where I have to get up at 5am and the fucking sun doesn't go down until 11:30pm so I'm lucky to get 5 hours of sleep in a night. Cut me some slack, would you?

• well in that case, maybe you should take shrooms. then you'll be saying "5 hours is way too much fucking sleep broooooooo"

• Hahaha. I've tried quite a few different recreational substances, and I've found I enjoy the mood-altering kind a lot more than the perception-altering kind. Plus, they have this annoying zero-tolerance rule for alcohol and drugs here. They're finally letting me out on Thursday.

• if you take enough/right amount of shrooms to put you right under the hallucination state so that you don't have any altered visuals, you will definitely feel as if you're in a mood-altering state. i actually like that feeling way better. lol

edit: i am not a drug pusher!

• For those of you looking to install yourself, Matt has posted a detailed walk thru video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WowQQs-GVIM

Also, can we make this a sticky again?
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

• Stickified.

That was really a great how-to video.
    Really straight forward.

He was using a professional de-soldering tool.
    If all you have access to is one of these:

you can nip the pins of the old Eprom with fingernail clippers
    (if you don't have a small set of dikes) and remove the chip, then
    with a soldering iron on the underside, suck the solder (and pin remnants) out the top.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo