Precision Billet Turbo discussion

That turbo spools identical to mine, its as laggy as I would go on a street setup. I'm looking forward to seeing the power you can get out of that 62 62. We have put a few on some 240s around here and they are really imrpessive at 20+psi. Car looks and sounds great flawlez.
    lm7 swapped z
    350z 6speed
    s475 turbo
    microsquirt ems
    street car
    http://www.youtube.com/user/redz31t?blend=21&ob=5

[quote]RedBeauty84ZX wrote:
    Originally posted by Mike_GruiZinga
    Looks like full pressure occurs at 4400rpm? Am I reading that right? What compression Engine?

I think that would be too laggy for my application. Looks fast though!
    Full boost is achieved around 4400RPMs, this is on a 7.8:1 engine. Keep in mind this is 2nd gear, and the gain on the boost controller could still be turned up. In 3rd or 4th gear and if he turned the gain up on the boost controller full bost would probably be achieved by 3900-4000RPMs.
    Could not do it. 3900 ftl unless it turns 8-9k. Well roll racing NM.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

For those of you seeing the powerband as laggy. The tune on my car is NOT even close to done. Its merely a safe driveable tune. I have a bad TPS which is causing a very rich condition under WOT and it completely floods out if I try to maintain acceleration into the next gear as it keeps dumping fuel between shifts. The timing maps are nowhere near optimized especially in the midrange as again, I simply haven't had the time or conditions to properly tune the car. I don't even have a clutch that can hold the power I'm making currently which really isn't much. Maybe 400 RWHP. The other factors to consider are:

7.8:1 motor
    2.5" piping + huge ass intercooler
    274 Schneider cams
    not optimized timing map
    not optimized fuel map
    gain has lots of headroom on EBC
    And pulls were done in 2nd gear

I'll shoot more video later on as I slowly work through and fix the things I need to to get the car where it needs to be.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

What ecu are you running?
    Shiro #443

Nice clips, I dont think the lag is all that bad everything considered.

Stock heads/internals? If you can push the usable powerband over 7,000rpm, getting full boost by 4,000rpm is still real nice!
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Rick88ss wrote: What ecu are you running?
    84T with NIStune. I really want to swap with an 87+ with NIStune.

300zxt wrote:
    Nice clips, I dont think the lag is all that bad everything considered.

Stock heads/internals? If you can push the usable powerband over 7,000rpm, getting full boost by 4,000rpm is still real nice!
    I agree.

Heads have mild port. Schneider 274 cams, 110 lb springs. Stock bottom end. Once this thing is all ironed out and I finalize the tune, I'm confident I'll see boost 200-300 RPM's sooner and my powerband will reach as far as 6800 RPM's. This should net to nearly a 3000 RPM range of power which is quite good.
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

FlawleZ wrote: 2.5" piping + huge ass intercooler
    any reason why this is a particular factor?

wouldn't the large intercooler just get heat soaked less and the small diameter piping require less of a volume to be pressurized?

I'll be running much the same soon and I was just wondering…

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by FlawleZ
    2.5" piping + huge ass intercooler
    any reason why this is a particular factor?

wouldn't the large intercooler just get heat soaked less and the small diameter piping require less of a volume to be pressurized?

I'll be running much the same soon and I was just wondering…
    The larger intercooler has more total air volume and surface area to be pressurized. Therefore the turbo must work that much harder to overcome the increase in total atmospheric volume which in turn requires that much more air flow from the engine to further spool the turbo. This isn't a huge contributing factor, but it is worth mentioning as every little change adds up.

A lot of people here may look at the spool as being quite laggy in comparison to say a stock or bolt on turbo Z31. The reality is, when you add any intercooler setup to the stock configuration you're going to dramatically increase lag as it was non existent before. Comparing a non intercooled car with the same car intercooled is comparing apples and oranges.
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

A lot of people here may look at the spool as being quite laggy in comparison to say a stock or bolt on turbo Z31
    This must be the case, because I don't think it's very laggy at all, I like the way it responds in the video.
    1986 Nissan 300ZX 300zx z31 turbo: 0.000 @ 0.000 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/user/thflash2007

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CWF-Dy…37431403027542

I think my comment may have come off wrong and I apologize. Just trying to get an idea of if I was reading the gage right.

This powerband looks great for what you use the car for, excellent choice. The boost rise (from threshold to full) is extremely fast; that looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting the videos, very helpful.
    "produce first.talk second."

FlawleZ wrote:
    A lot of people here may look at the spool as being quite laggy in comparison to say a stock or bolt on turbo Z31. The reality is, when you add any intercooler setup to the stock configuration you're going to dramatically increase lag as it was non existent before. Comparing a non intercooled car with the same car intercooled is comparing apples and oranges.
    Especially when the factory charge pipe is crazy short to begin with…
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

[quote]roastin300 wrote:
    Originally posted by Racinjitter
    Chris,

When running more than 20psi of boost the intake temps are very high. That coupled with low resistance to knock from 93 octane fuel, you are playing with fire. When is the last time you saw a car running high boost (25+psi) and not run e-85 or race fuel? There is a reason for higher octane ratiings when you add more boost.
    Exactly. When I made 398rwhp on 18-20psi, I had to pull out a TON of timing. I probably could have made that more safely had I run e85 on 15-16psi with 6-8 degrees more timing under boost.

Sounds like your static compression ratio is too high if the ignition has to be retarded that much. In which case of course a higher octane fuel will improve the situation.

FlawleZ wrote: The larger intercooler has more total air volume and surface area to be pressurized. Therefore the turbo must work that much harder to overcome the increase in total atmospheric volume which in turn requires that much more air flow from the engine to further spool the turbo. This isn't a huge contributing factor, but it is worth mentioning as every little change adds up.
    I understand that, It's a no brainer. What I'm wondering mostly is how did the intercooler setup differ from your last turbo and did it make that much of a noticeable difference to make mention of it as a strong contributing factor?

For a second, it sounded like you mentioned 2.5 inch piping as though to say you should be running something smaller, as well as a smaller intercooler and you regret this setup's induced lag.

What is your guestimated total piping length anyway, and which IC?

Its a little laggy for my taste. I am now considering a HX40 with a 16cm housing and a quick spool valve. I thought it would spool much faster than that. I am sticking with stock cams and heads for now so I need a faster spooling turbo because the stock heads dont flow much over 6500rpm's.

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by FlawleZ
    The larger intercooler has more total air volume and surface area to be pressurized. Therefore the turbo must work that much harder to overcome the increase in total atmospheric volume which in turn requires that much more air flow from the engine to further spool the turbo. This isn't a huge contributing factor, but it is worth mentioning as every little change adds up.
    What I'm wondering mostly is how did the intercooler setup differ from your last turbo and did it make that much of a noticeable difference to make mention of it as a strong contributing factor?
    FlawleZs old intercooler setup which was I believe was two and a 1/4 inch piping, and a MKIV intercooler. This intercooler setup worked ok, but got heat soaked easy. He made 360WHP/480WTQ with this intercooler setup and his old T3/T4.

His new intercooler setup, two and a 1/2 inch piping, much bigger intercooler:

My brothers last turbo was a T3/T4, 50 Trim compressor with Clipped T3 Turbine Wheel and .63 A/R , his new Precision Turbo Billet 6262 is a noticably larger turbo capable of significantly more power. To put it into perspective his billet 6262 spools just as quick as his T3/T4. His old setup was on bone stock heads and a smaller intercooler/piping setup. With his schneider cams, bigger intercooler and bigger piping he has shifted his powerband roughly 1000RPMs higher in the RPM range then it was before, if he had kept his old setup but just added the 6262 it would have spooled QUICKER then the smaller 50 trim 6262.

With his new setup the pull is much better, the power band has improved and the power dosnt fall off in the high RPMs like it did with the stock heads and T3/T4.

Also were planning on getting a couple more vids this time of pulls in 3rd gear, should show the turbo reaching full boost a little lower in the RPM range.

Hope that puts it into perspective.
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ