Precision Billet Turbo discussion

journal bearing 6262 will still FAR outspool a hx40, they spool almost exactly the same initially as a hx35, but have a faster overall pressure rise after the threshold
    87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
    current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

How about a HX40 with a quick spool? Do you understand that a quick spool does what its intended for? As I said SATAN picked up 900 rpm of spool.

I have a quick spool on a triple ball bearing 67mm q trim 2jz, i know how they work. I did a quick spool project on my turbo LS1 buck GN 5 years ago. I would still take a journal 6262 over any type of hx40, spool valve or not, period

How much you looking to spend? I can get Comp Turbo triple ball bearing billet 6262 for around $1000 if you want one, most advanced turbo on the market, fastest spool hands down
    87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
    current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

FlawleZ wrote:

With this 7.8:1 motor, like I said on page 4, I'm confident I can see full boost by ~4000 rpm. Boost comes on even quicker in 3rd and 4th of course but my clutch slips so its pointless.

Also, you guys are aware that my 6262 is a journal bearing 6262
    , right?
    Oh sweet, I wasn't! lol This turbo is real wicked then!

.63 A/R, E Housing, ball bearing 6262 = full boost at 3,800rpms @ 25lbs! :P
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Not to delineate from the 6262 goodness.... but I wanted to get some information on the smaller precisions. No-one will likely care, but these two are probably better sized for road race/drift/auto-x. The goal for these applications is always response and spool. Power is nice too, but 53-60lb/min with a powerband from 3200-7k sounds like enough for me.

So far we have RacinJitter's dyno chart, showing 23psi at 3800rpms. Keep in mind that his 5857 is a .82AR housing, journal bearing turbo. I have searched the interwebs, here is what I have found. Questions outlined below:

PTE5857:
    Compressor Inducer 58mm billet wheel
    Compressor Exducer 74.9mm
    .70 a/r Compressor Cover
    Turbine Inducer 65mm
    Turbine Exducer 57mm
    ~60.5 lb/min flow

PTE5557:
    Compressor Inducer 55mm billet wheel
    Compressor Exducer 74.9mm
    .70 a/r Compressor Cover (?)
    Turbine Inducer 65mm
    Turbine Exducer 57mm
    ~54 lb/min flow

Questions:

1.) Why is PTE's website so retarded? There is little to no information. No compressor maps, nothing. No wonder these are just now becoming popular.

2.) Why would anyone buy a 5557 over a 5857.
    -After doing some research, the turbine is the same, only a smaller compressor on the 5557.
    -Can't see anything saying it will spool faster… Just that it flows less (54lb/min vs. 60.5lb/min)

3.) Why don't they offer twin scroll housings? Seems really lame when one can be had for every other competitor (HTA 3076R, BW S200, etc). The VG manifolds are setup for this right from the factory… I would want to take advantage of it.
    "produce first.talk second."

PTE's website has not been updated in years. They don't have a lot of their own current products even listed. Here is a list of more billet wheel turbo's from PTE. They finally made some "drifter" turbos.
    Turbine diameter is on the right column.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

The lack of a twin scroll housing option is very strange indeed. If anyone has a reliable/cheapish source for these, would you mind posting them here? Just for future reference of the thread. (If it has been posted already feel free to kick me in the shins).
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Grr wrote: I have a quick spool on a triple ball bearing 67mm q trim 2jz, i know how they work. I did a quick spool project on my turbo LS1 buck GN 5 years ago. I would still take a journal 6262 over any type of hx40, spool valve or not, period

How much you looking to spend? I can get Comp Turbo triple ball bearing billet 6262 for around $1000 if you want one, most advanced turbo on the market, fastest spool hands down
    WOW. Consider it sold if you can get it for me for that price! Can I PM you so we can move forward with this? Thanks man. I believe the BB would spool much better but never considered it since its out of my budget. And I have not heard of a triple BB turbo, only dual BB. And searching I have never seen a triple BB 6262 for sale?

The triple was still in development AFAIK… But I do know that the oil cooled BB turbos are out finally.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

• Also for those wondering (including me), Is there anything special to watch out for when running a BB turbo? As far as not wanting to run an oil restrictor or wanting to run an oil restrictor on the oil feed? Is it ok to run it without a water jacket like I always have on my past journal bearing turbos? Also should you be more careful to let it warm up and cool down before and after hitting boost?

• Comp Turbo makes the triple bearing turbos. They are far superior to the garrett or precision offerings as they use 3 angular bearings and no standard thrust like the standard round rollers the others use. The main load and drag component of a turbo in boost is the thrust surface, this friction is also what induces shaft wobble.

The other thing is they use a machined billet aluminum cartridge rather than cast iron, making them about 1/3 the weight without the turbine housing. AND, they use a bearing cartridge assembly that is easily removed by taking out 1 snap ring, and replacing the assembly by just sliding a new one in. They even have a oil-less turbo that will be out in the spring, testing is just about done on that one. It uses a high temp grease and water cooling so no oil lines need to be run.

Finally all their casting and machining is done in house, they arent just an assembly line for garrett parts like most companies. On the turbine side, they use smaller diameter wheels that have no trim, they are just one size. These wheels flow more than a stepped wheel, and the lighter weight makes them spool just as fast. For instance their 67mm Q-trim will make around 40whp more than a garrett 67mm Q-trim and have a lower backpressure ratio. This along with the ball bearing center allows you to go up a minumum of one size, often two and retain the spoolup but an obvious large increase in power and lower temps. new site just got put up and alot of the links are wrong yet, but if you want more info on the company go here
    http://compturbo.com/

• Grr wrote: Comp Turbo makes the triple bearing turbos. They are far superior to the garrett or precision offerings as they use 3 angular bearings and no standard thrust like the standard round rollers the others use. The main load and drag component of a turbo in boost is the thrust surface, this friction is also what induces shaft wobble.

The other thing is they use a machined billet aluminum cartridge rather than cast iron, making them about 1/3 the weight without the turbine housing. AND, they use a bearing cartridge assembly that is easily removed by taking out 1 snap ring, and replacing the assembly by just sliding a new one in. They even have a oil-less turbo that will be out in the spring, testing is just about done on that one. It uses a high temp grease and water cooling so no oil lines need to be run.

Finally all their casting and machining is done in house, they arent just an assembly line for garrett parts like most companies. On the turbine side, they use smaller diameter wheels that have no trim, they are just one size. These wheels flow more than a stepped wheel, and the lighter weight makes them spool just as fast. For instance their 67mm Q-trim will make around 40whp more than a garrett 67mm Q-trim and have a lower backpressure ratio. This along with the ball bearing center allows you to go up a minumum of one size, often two and retain the spoolup but an obvious large increase in power and lower temps. new site just got put up and alot of the links are wrong yet, but if you want more info on the company go here
    http://compturbo.com/
    Weird. These turbos have ALOT of different approaches than ANY other manufacturer I have ever seen! So you run one of these on your 2jz? I have never heard about this company from anyone except you. Also their sizing is slightly confusing. And they also call it a BB turbo but they dont actually use ball bearings they say… And not having a stepped turbine wheel? That is just odd. What about the compressor wheel? Is it stepped?

• roastin300 wrote: And they also call it a BB turbo but they dont actually use ball bearings they say… And not having a stepped turbine wheel? That is just odd. What about the compressor wheel? Is it stepped?
    It's hard to classify the bearing type because it's not a journal bearing, it's not a ball bearing, and it's not a needle bearing… so easiest is just to use the ball bearing nomenclature to let people know that's the class it falls in.

Grr explained in his post it's an angle bearing.

• They use a tapered bearing, like a wheel bearing. I dont personally run this on my car, i bought the 3582r that was on the 2jz when i did the upgrade for him. It is a 67mm q-trim with a 1.0ar divided housing and a spool valve. Its crazy, on the logs if you floor it at 4000rpm it goes from 5inHG to 25psi in .4 seconds. rolling into it in 5th it goes to 25psi by 2800rpm

We did a build with a forged 7m this spring and a 74mm MX-trim, which is HUGE for a street 3.0L. That setup was a .81 open housing and it did 26psi at 4400, from the testing we were doing it was around 650whp at 26psi with stock cams.

If you want to go that route, they build to order so it takes a little longer, but I recommend the 6262 TBB with a .82 housing. I will get you a price on that this week.

• Grr wrote: They use a tapered bearing, like a wheel bearing. I dont personally run this on my car, i bought the 3582r that was on the 2jz when i did the upgrade for him. It is a 67mm q-trim with a 1.0ar divided housing and a spool valve. Its crazy, on the logs if you floor it at 4000rpm it goes from 5inHG to 25psi in .4 seconds. rolling into it in 5th it goes to 25psi by 2800rpm

We did a build with a forged 7m this spring and a 74mm MX-trim, which is HUGE for a street 3.0L. That setup was a .81 open housing and it did 26psi at 4400, from the testing we were doing it was around 650whp at 26psi with stock cams.

If you want to go that route, they build to order so it takes a little longer, but I recommend the 6262 TBB with a .82 housing. I will get you a price on that this week.
    and in the case where mike is looking for a road race type turbo that's a little more responsive?

i'm looking for something similar. Ideally around 400whp… maybe a touch less.. but i want it to be there almost all the time.