Pics of assembled s13 adapters - review before panicking!

G-E;338555 wrote: Well obviously a person getting s13 coilovers can choose to get some with camber plates, but as they just require a little drilling, the plates can be oriented in any direction; then you can rotate the s13 coil to sit behind or nearer the front of the spindle, and use a rotated camber plate to lean the upper pivot towards it

For example, even without camber plates, by mounting the s13 coilover behind, you rotate the spindle forward, then use adjustable tension rods to pull the bottom forward un-rotating it, you can maintain camber and caster

If the coilover is mounted entirely inboard as in the case of the s13, you may or may not have enough camber plate adjustment to give yourself the setting you want, but my final version will allow the mount to adjust static camber as well, so you could increase the camber at the mount, and decrease camber on the plate, this lets you have increasing camber in the turn without looking like a dork driving straight

As someone once said, you can't give z31 owners too much choice, or their heads explode, or something… (I'm paraphrasing slightly)
    my cusco coilovers allow for adjustment at the spindle/coil it's designed to have built in adjustable camber if you wish.
    1986 300ZX GLL auto non turbo

Someone posted a pic of an adapter with the mounting points offset so the center of the spring lined up properly earlier… why not make something like that?
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you…"

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
    Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21…-build-thread/
    -'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…)build-thread!

michaelp;338106 wrote: This is the only PROPER way to do this idea…it keeps all of the geometry as intended/

Thanks stufferton for knowing what you're doing!
    Here it is… Why not build this? I doubt anyone would question this…
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you…"

-'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:

G-E;338579 wrote: My flawed design? I didn't design the offset strut mounting system, go send your nastygram to nissan please
    You do realize cars with offset strut systems are DESIGNED for it to work properly…in more ways than what you are doing? The entire spindle design, strut tower design etc. Theres way more to it than what you've done…which is 0% compatible with the Z31.

Do you understand the negative affects running a Z31-style strut/coilover on a S13 would be? It'd be pretty similar to what you're doing here. Everything would be fucked.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Tomakze;338620 wrote: Here it is… Why not build this? I doubt anyone would question this…
    Thats far too logical and makes way too much sense.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

ok mods. this is your time to step in and tell people to have some tact in their responses or just shut up and wait for the application of the spindle to be tested.

anyone notice how relatively calm and cool G-E is being, despite the negativity surrounding this adapter? i see no reason for the harshness regardless of the function of a screw or an engine or this adapter.

If I were him, at this point I would build that offset design and never look back. With all the time he's spend defending his current design, he could have either redesigned it like the photo, or proved his design works on an actual car, or both! It's pretty obvious most people don't trust it, even if it does work. AKA, won't sell very much.

G-E, I know you feel like no one is giving it a fair chance, but sometimes you have to fight battles on the other side's terms. Either prove it, or change it. If not, resign yourself to the fact that most people will never trust the product, myself included. I'm not trying to get involved, I'm just bored of the pissing contest, and I want to see real proof, one way or the other. I'm genuinely curious how this turns out, and your idea of a bolt on s13 coilover is intriguing!

-'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:

Don't worry, I'm getting a lot of encouragement privately, a lot of the products I've produced are in a lot of hands out there, they are just keeping silent for the most part

This thread is kinda like those subframe adapters, previously people had really two choices, figure it out on their own, or get the shamwow kit which requires modifying the subframe, until I came along with a kit that requires modifying the car instead… the same types of arguments were thrown around then too, and I still sold quite a few sets, including the last of my prototype pieces just this week, what does that tell you? Don't always believe the vocal minority

I know there are some real issues to resolve, and throwing them on a car to show the bums will still not satisfy all of them, but that was never the point, not everyone is the target market

Careless;338624 wrote: ok mods. this is your time to step in and tell people to have some tact in their responses or just shut up and wait for the application of the spindle to be tested.
    For fucks sake..mod /= babysitter and tact is relative.

Stay on topic please.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

ok. so next time you post anything- i'm going to shit all over your thread and tell you how fucked up it is without just waiting it out to see how it turns out. cool? cool.

self-moderating board = win.

I like the idea. I can see with a bit of tweaking it might work as intended and I hope it does. Sure it might not be 'perfect' but none of the other coilover options are either. I'll just be sitting back waiting to see a alignment sheet, if it fails then it's not like everyone is out of pocket, only G-E.
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

Pardon my ignorance by why could GE [or someone else] not take any 'offset' strut assembly [like off a maxima] from the JY, hack up up progressively, measuring at each step, using the test piece GE already made? Is the attempt not to simply prove the geometry variance? Seems that would answer all the questions would it not?
    Or, someone could sit down and simply draw it out with proper measurements. (I know it would take some time.)
    …Am I missing something?

IMO 'we' should all work together to find a more universal design. Something that is easy to pick up, cheap, etc.(Similar to the rear camber fix [garry molitar?] came up with.) How nice would it be to go down to the JY, pick up a common LCA, grab a jig/template, modify a bit, and have a better suspension… just sayin.

It is pretty lame all the hacking people are doing on GE. Whether you agree with him or not, I fail to see the benefit of the negativity. Criticism is fine but to what end does it serve to destroy ideas? I would assume we only stand to gain something. Go team? lol No really, my father did a TON of design/patent work for a tech company. There is definitely a benefit to that type of mind. If we do not explore the possibilities, even when seemingly ridiculous, we will be forever stuck with mediocrity. JMO

Rat1314;338643 wrote: I like the idea. I can see with a bit of tweaking it might work as intended and I hope it does. Sure it might not be 'perfect' but none of the other coilover options are either. I'll just be sitting back waiting to see a alignment sheet, if it fails then it's not like everyone is out of pocket, only G-E.
    ^QFT

The pursuit of truth [improvement] stops when that person allows their bias to dictate the possibility of truth [improvement]. - dan 10Jul2013

adroitcaptor;338645 wrote:

It is pretty lame all the hacking people are doing on GE. Whether you agree with him or not, I fail to see the benefit of the negativity. Criticism is fine but to what end does it serve to destroy ideas? I would assume we only stand to gain something. Go team? lol No really, my father did a TON of design/patent work for a tech company. There is definitely a benefit to that type of mind. If we do not explore the possibilities, even when seemingly ridiculous, we will be forever stuck with mediocrity. JMO

that is the mind set with this community they are scared of change this is the reason EPR stopped making specific Z31 stuff. this community would much rather stick to roof racks and hellastance cars then actually TRY to make improvements on the chassis they have.
    1986 300ZX GLL auto non turbo

Hairyballs;338651 wrote: that is the mind set with this community they are scared of change this is the reason EPR stopped making specific Z31 stuff. this community would much rather stick to roof racks and hellastance cars then actually TRY to make improvements on the chassis they have.
    There are making improvements, then completely destroying front suspension geometry. Z31-specific coilovers, or even doing the adapters like posted in a picture previously, dont hurt geometry. I support him developing new stuff. However, this specific design is pretty crappy and hes too dense to listen to anyones advice. He lacks so much confidence in his work, his own car has STANCE Z31 coilovers.

But being an ass aside, he asked for what people thought of it. Hes turning what could be constructive criticism initially into an argument because he just argues back that theres no way any of the issues will be there even though hes never actually tested it. /discussion. I'm done. He can make them, I'll just keep doing it the proper way.