bixenon Projector Retrofit. **kouki retro in progress**

• [quote]862sik wrote:
    Originally posted by Ven
    What's new with this? Someone install it yet?
    Im awaiting payment to send them. They are finished, and I tested them under water to make sure that there is no leaks. I also sanded down and polished the lens to take out the scratches I made. It looks great, hope he is happy.

In the future I am not sure if Ill do this because it takes quite a bit of time. I will probably supply the lenses, but thats about it. I had lots of time when I didnt have a job, but now that isnt the case might do another set…who knows =). But we will see once he recieves it how he likes them, he can judge the quality and give me feedback. I personally think they will be bad ass.
    Well when I order MY set it's cool if you take your time. :twisted:
    and yes, I'm sure they'll look badass. Probably even more so with an LED strip in it. 8)

I await the pictures of installation.

• Hey guys,

I have been working with a production factory that actually makes HID projectors. We have been working on designs for about a month now, but hopefully the efforts will be worth it.

The main issues for Z31 projector retrofits into the H6054 (84-86) housings are the physical size of the projectors themselves. Most bi-xenon projectors are about 5" in length. The most common "upgrade" for the H6054 is of course the eBay diamond cut reflector housings that convert sealed beam to H4 bulbs.

Many aftermarket projectors are made to fit directly into H4 housings, but as far as the aftermarket H6054 housings are concerned, projectors are too long for the front lens to fit back on.

Even if you were to modify the housings to let the projector sit deeper in the housing, you run into the problem for the flip up lights, with the back of the housing hitting the arm that moves the bucket up an down (the OP ran into this as well). This is especially true with D2S projectors, as I have cracked my setup when attempting this myself.

What we have developed is a bi-xenon projector that is a total of 4" in length. The projector uses a H1 HID bulb. The size of the projector will allow it to fit perfectly in the housing, and with the use of the H1 bulb, there will be plenty of room behind the housings to allow proper use of the flip up lights. The projector is much shorter than the common projector retrofits, and provides a simple installation.

To keep costs low, the set will be sold as a retrofit kit. I would recommend purchasing the cost-effective housings on eBay. That way you can pick your own style housings (I personally prefer the plain housings with no extra lights or halos, seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/H6054-7X6-H4…d415e9&vxp=mtr).

All you would need to do is bake the housings at 220°F for 8 minutes and pry the lens off (throw it back in the oven if it cools down, don't break the glass!). Remove all the metal hardware from the housing (2 screws that hold on the H4 bulb clip and metal cap, comes right out), then drill a small hole below the opening for the high beam wire. Install the projectors and reseal the housings.

Once the projectors arrive, I will have a full install guide, as well as beam shots with it on my Z. Hopefully I can keep prices low, around $100.

Also wanted to fill you guys in on some research, there is a type of projector retrofit already available that will fit into the H4 housings without modification (other than baking and removing the glass). They are seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AngelEye-Sup…d45935&vxp=mtr. The look nice and all, BUT… there were a few things I didn't like. One issue I did see was the bulb. It uses a specially made HID bulb, not a common size. You can get replacement bulbs from the seller, but they charge a lot for a low quality bulb. Also, after much digging, I was able to find the action shots. The beam output and cutoff is HORRIBLE! I would not suggest going this route. Even though the output is better than using a H4 HID kit in reflector housings, I would still not get it.

That is what led me to having the better ones made. Sorry for the long read, I will have an update as soon as they are finished making them!

-Edwin :super

• Btw, here's how the setup had come out with the old projectors (driver side is projector, passenger side is old and worn out ebay H4 housing). As stated in the last post, this is the common 5" long projector retrofit with the D2S bulbs. While it works great, I can't put them down, otherwise the swing arm will crack the back of the housing (again!).

I can't wait until the new projectors are done!

• edwin86z wrote: Btw, here's how the setup had come out with the old projectors (driver side is projector, passenger side is old and worn out ebay H4 housing). As stated in the last post, this is the common 5" long projector retrofit with the D2S bulbs. While it works great, I can't put them down, otherwise the swing arm will crack the back of the housing (again!).

I can't wait until the new projectors are done!
    Are you apart of the company that has the pegasus units from norcalmr2? Cause if it is, I dont mean to be blunt, but the output sucks ass. lol.

The bixenon projector I used fit, but of course a mount has to be made…which dont take to long.
    My Build Thread

• 862sik wrote: Are you apart of the company that has the pegasus units from norcalmr2? Cause if it is, I dont mean to be blunt, but the output sucks ass. lol.

The bixenon projector I used fit, but of course a mount has to be made…which dont take to long.
    I have nothing to do with the pegasus units, nor am I part of a company that makes projectors. I have just been in communication with a company that develops projectors, and have convinced them to develop a system to work with the popular H6054 housings.

I honestly don't know how well this will come out, but I will post beam shots as soon as I can get them.

• Its interesting in how you convinced them tto make a prototype. It takes time and money to make prototypes because most of the time they have to be improved, and to be around 100$ id be concerned about the width and the focus of these projectors. But you never know =).

Thats why I used the morimoto projectors. They are nice and compact, plus they are bixenon. There is a pair that uses d2s but they were a tad longer, and even though I like OEM bulbs, these morimoto bulbs are pretty darn good.
    My Build Thread

• 862sik wrote: Its interesting in how you convinced them tto make a prototype. It takes time and money to make prototypes because most of the time they have to be improved, and to be around 100$ id be concerned about the width and the focus of these projectors. But you never know =).

Thats why I used the morimoto projectors. They are nice and compact, plus they are bixenon. There is a pair that uses d2s but they were a tad longer, and even though I like OEM bulbs, these morimoto bulbs are pretty darn good.
    I was surprised too! I also like the morimotos, but they are a tad long to fit in the housing without modification, and I was looking for a better solution.

They were actally working on the shorter 4" H1 projector before I contacted them, but they were not active with the project as they were working on something else. After contacting them, they started it back up and finished the design. They are now working on the shroud. They said they can have a new mold custom made for me, but I could not justify the $16,200 price tag… I told them I would take the mold they were working one, hopefully it will fit with a couple of cuts to shape.

Again, I don't know how well they will work, but the only way to find out is to wait for them. To come in!

• In need of 87+ projectors!!!,. Great job!! Keep up the good work so happy z31's are getting love
    88 n/a automatic 9/87 - blown up/parts car
    87 n/a 5speed 9/86 - daily driver
    87 turbo 5speed 6/87- project

• Bump, big suprise comin soon guys, keep posted
    1989 Nissan 300zx Turbo "MAW Edition"
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10617

• So im trying to remove my headlights so as soon as ive got these I can put them in, anyone have the best way to remove them with step by step instructions? because the book doesnt really help…how the hell am I suppose to get the lid off with the fender in the way!?! lol....gay....

• Take the whole headlight bucket out, few bolts behind the headlight cover and if I remember right 87-89 has a few on the bottom of the bucket you get at from under the car, but it's been a while so I might be wrong.

• Found out how to and took me 20 minutes or so to get em both out, was easy as pie. I was just doing it wrong lol. Lights are out and waiting on my projectors now pics will be up as soon as they arrive!

• Just a few picture requests.

daytime pictures

1.) Picture from the front with the lights down & Off

2.) Picture from the front with lights down & On (if you have the mod)

3.) Picture from the front with the lights Up & On

night/evening pictures

4.) Picture of the car facing a wall with lights down & On

5.) Picture of the car facing a wall with lights Up & On

thanks

• Ven wrote: Just a few picture requests.

daytime pictures

night/evening pictures

thanks
    np, can do, lights should be installed tomorrow evening or so, so I should have pics up here by the end of the day!

• [quote]J18199 wrote:
    Originally posted by Ven
    Just a few picture requests.

daytime pictures

night/evening pictures

thanks

np, can do, lights should be installed tomorrow evening or so, so I should have pics up here by the end of the day!
    Im curious as well but not in the looks but in how much of the glue you will see when its installed. The majority should be hidden by the trim around the light. 8)
    My Build Thread