bixenon Projector Retrofit. **kouki retro in progress**

• DeleriousZ wrote: The lense definitely seems like the hardest part! I wonder if there'd be a deal to swing with the hid kit retailers if you ordered in sets of 10 or so though?
    Honestly, I get all my stuff from one company…www.theretrofitsource.com. So the only deal that I would possibly be able to get is in a bulk buy. But then the cost will still be with shipping the hid kit to you guys. If I were to get ebay junk I can get a much better price through a friend thats a distribitor of them, but I know they wont last and personally dont like any of their stuff and trust my company. I like quality products, that I know I have proven myself.

So its kinda a wash, and im not trying to make hella money by upselling product and then charging labor to do the work. But if I were to get everyone a HID kit with the lights, then any issues with the ballasts or the bulbs would be on ME. I have no control what happends on the other end. Then you guys would have to send the ballast to me, then I would have to send them to the company…Then wait for it to come back…then ship it back to you…to much to worry about. So thats why I prefer people to buy their own kits and probably even their own projectors then ship them to me. (If I do start doing this.)

As for the lens, it did take some time. But those I can do with no problems.
    My Build Thread

• Yeah, that website seems like THE place to go when looking for hid retrofits. High quality, great reviews and decent price. I've been looking into them for doing a retrofit on my scooby too.

Perhaps the lens and a solid parts list/ writeup on how to do it would be enough? I'd be totally happy with that

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

• I have no problem with that, the lens and solid write up would be perfect for me
    1984 300ZX - 1988 VG30T Engine, Trans, Diff, ECU
    1987 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car ), 1988 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car )
    1972 240Z -- Full restore - L28ET L6 Engine from 280zx, T-5 transmission, Rear diff from the 87
    1998 Mazda B-2500, And a lot of bikes

• Interesting, thanks for the input!
    My Build Thread

• So im planning to pick up another bucket from the kouki at the junkyard for another retrofit.

I already have another one in process for someone here, and will probably make one for the zenki all in one shot before I go on vacation in the middle of december (which also means I should get them done before december 14). These funds will help my vacation fund lol.

Anyone want a set? I dont want any maybes....I ask for a 150$ deposit to start.

kouki-1 set avalible 320$
    zenki-1 set avalible 275$
    My Build Thread

• not bad pricing!
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

• Just curious, did you try putting back the oem glass on the kouki lights?

As an alternative:

I'm tempted to suggest mounting the projectors on the metal frame behind the popup frame, which you remove the majority of to allow the projector to sit stationary with the lid moving around it

So you just retain the lid and front cover for looks, the projector will sit higher, the lid will probably close to about where the light cutoff plate is

Downside is less width to your light dispersion, but that's nothing you couldn't fix with hid fog lamps when you need…

• G-E wrote: Just curious, did you try putting back the oem glass on the kouki lights?

As an alternative:

I'm tempted to suggest mounting the projectors on the metal frame behind the popup frame, which you remove the majority of to allow the projector to sit stationary with the lid moving around it

So you just retain the lid and front cover for looks, the projector will sit higher, the lid will probably close to about where the light cutoff plate is

Downside is less width to your light dispersion, but that's nothing you couldn't fix with hid fog lamps when you need…
    I haven't tried using the factory glass. When I work on it ill do it to see how the output is.

As for putting the projector inside the housing of the car…I thought about that. But the projector would have to sit at a angle. If you notice the factory housings the bulb os offset
    My Build Thread

• Here is another set that I been laggin to complete.

I just aligned them, I think its pretty sweet. There is a little more foreground. When I align them they are like 33'' off the ground so you obviously dont see the foreground.

My Build Thread

• G-E wrote: Just curious, did you try putting back the oem glass on the kouki lights?
    Well, I decided to try on one light with the projectors. These were taking at the same time and with the same bulb, only difference is of course the lens. Its not that bad, I think the proximity of the projector lens itself to the factory glass lens eliminates hot spots that is created by the glass. But I obviously couldnt tell how much light is lost, but I saw a small difference.

Condition of the factory glass.

Cutoff with one projector

Side view Cut off with one projector

Cut off with the projector and the factory glass lens.

Side view of the projector with the factory glass lens
    My Build Thread

• Me likes with the non-factory glass better. Not to mention probably looks aesthetically better with a clear lense on there than the factory glass.

• Ven wrote: Me likes with the non-factory glass better. Not to mention probably looks aesthetically better with a clear lense on there than the factory glass.
    I got to agree with you. But it was interesting to see how it would look. Im surprised there isnt much more glare everywhere else with the factory lens.
    My Build Thread

• [quote]862sik wrote:
    Originally posted by Ven
    Me likes with the non-factory glass better. Not to mention probably looks aesthetically better with a clear lense on there than the factory glass.
    I got to agree with you. But it was interesting to see how it would look. Im surprised there isnt much more glare everywhere else with the factory lens.
    I agree, that's a pretty darn solid cutoff line for going through a fluted lens. I wonder what it'd look like if all the flutes were ground off and the glass was polished?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

• I like the factory glass look for stealth and the light pattern is also very good…

• [quote]DeleriousZ wrote: [quote=862sik]
    Originally posted by Ven
    Me likes with the non-factory glass better. Not to mention probably looks aesthetically better with a clear lense on there than the factory glass.
    I agree, that's a pretty darn solid cutoff line for going through a fluted lens. I wonder what it'd look like if all the flutes were ground off and the glass was polished?
    Probably it will look good. Basically the thick glass will kill some of the sharpness of the cutoff but it will still be there. My brothers 91 accord has thick glass headlights and I put these projectors behind them. Its not that bad. But whats the point of going through all the work of grinding down the glass and polishing when you can just do these lenses that I made lol.
    My Build Thread