bixenon Projector Retrofit. **kouki retro in progress**

• Mainly being able to replace a lense quickly and easily, rather than having to wait for a replacement to be produced. That and if you grind off everything except the DOT markings, you might pass inspection lol.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

• DeleriousZ wrote: Mainly being able to replace a lense quickly and easily, rather than having to wait for a replacement to be produced. That and if you grind off everything except the DOT markings, you might pass inspection lol.
    haha clever. Im glad we dont have DOT inspections…but we do have smog..... :-(
    My Build Thread

• Ran into an issue that I didnt experience before. Was doing a final test at my work and our temps are around 40 degrees (yes not cold to you northern state guys) but I saw that the lens was fogging up on the bottom. The Last time I did j18's it was in the summer time, but I remember putting the lights in the fridge and then seeing if it will fog.

So I played with the vents and noticed that with a bigger vent on top the fogging went away. After a few stores I finally found a bigger vent, drilled the hole bigger to accomodate it. Unfortunatly today wasnt as cold but it was doing great. Tomorrow morning ill test the headights when its super cold and see if they fog up.
    My Build Thread

• 862sik;309753 wrote: Probably it will look good. Basically the thick glass will kill some of the sharpness of the cutoff but it will still be there. My brothers 91 accord has thick glass headlights and I put these projectors behind them. Its not that bad. But whats the point of going through all the work of grinding down the glass and polishing when you can just do these lenses that I made lol.
    mini H1 lights look pimp on the CB7 maunly because the glass doesn't have all those ridges the Z does, it has all of like 3 lines i think, i used to do that and black-house/yellow high tint on them all the time lol

• Progress!

I hate condensation…I hate it. lol
    My Build Thread

• Good news. I feel someone else is getting a set too but there's no pictures.

• Yea I havent posted any pictures cause I been working on his set for to long. I finally fiqured the condensation issue that I didnt have with the first one I made. Now im cleaing it up and making a new lens because I hacked it to see if I can ventalate it better.

I spent many late nights back at work with these suckers on the bench. Each test was 30 minutes burn in time, 30 minutes defogging time (so 1 hour each modification)…literally it was like I was living at work…going home at 12 midnight sleeping at 2am, going back to work at 8 in the morning. I still got no where, almost gave up on the whole thing. I resealed it a few times, put tape on certain areas to make sure there wasnt a bad seal. It was difficult cause I can only work on it 2 nights a week when my boss was for sure not going to be at work. I could of done it at home but the voltage regulator for the HIds is much better at work than draining my battery in my car at home at night, every time.

I even purchased these expensive as hell vents 40 bucks for 3 little goretex patches to find that I didnt need them.

Basically what was going on was after about 20 minutes it would form condensation on the bottom of the lens. I drilled bigger vents, and even added vents with no sucess. I even enclosed the projector so the heat wont travel inside the light, fail. I found that if you put a bigger vent up top, 2 tiny vents near the lens, and one smaller vent in the rear bottom…the air would circulate to the front of the lens and not form condensation. Having to many vents interfered with the airflow inside the headlight.

So now im going to clean the snot out of it, grind the old stuff off (which is a bitch) and repaint it. After taking these lights apart at least 10 times im going to try a different sealant as well, something a little easier to work with and maybe a little more reliable in the heat. The old sealant was great even with heat. But someone pointed out in a hot climate it may still hold but you may be able to pry the lens off. I tested it and it would have to be pretty darn hot, over 100 degrees outside.
    My Build Thread

• Well im proud to say that all the issues with condensation are gone let them run for 20-30 minutes a piece and no issues with condensation. Finally fixed and figured out! I made a set for boosted300 and after hours and late nights of hating the lights, im proud of them. Completely changed the sealant also, now I use black silicone, that other stuff was a mess…especially after all the re-do's. Unfortunately I don't know when he will get them on, but they were aligned to the best of my ability and it arrived safely.
    My Build Thread

• Me next! lol

• 862sik;333902 wrote: I use black silicone, that other stuff was a mess…especially after all the re-do's.
    GOOP adhesive works great for stuff like this and it's clear. I wouldn't expect you to change adhesives

since you have come this far. I just wanted to give you a heads up- maybe for your next project.
    Everything is Meaningless.

• PulseCode;334053 wrote: GOOP adhesive works great for stuff like this and it's clear. I wouldn't expect you to change adhesives

since you have come this far. I just wanted to give you a heads up- maybe for your next project.
    HAHA BRO, Let me tell you…goop did not work! LOL. It softened it up but it was still stringy and messy. I almost threw them away LOL. Soaked it in a tub of gasoline and it came off like nothing. Its damn good sealant, and very strong. But it wasn't as clean as id like it to be, and if you mess up one little spot, you have to take it apart and do it all over again. Now with the silicone, I got clean lines and almost no clumpy areas. YES IM THAT ANAL lol.
    My Build Thread

• Ven;333904 wrote: Me next! lol

Serious inquiries
    only lol
    My Build Thread

• Oh, it's cereal!

• I have been following this build and applaud your creative genius. This information will be very helpful when I do you front end conversion. Thank you.

• Ven;334078 wrote: Oh, it's cereal! Hah, well my PM's are always open.

1artworkz;334243 wrote:
    I have been following this build and applaud your creative genius. This information will be very helpful when I do you front end conversion. Thank you.
    No problem. Even though Id like to make money off of these, I still like to help the community. I have done research on custom lights that people charge to modify, and they are upwards from 200 to 600 dollars labor HOLT FCUK!! I don't have the skills or the tools like some people here to create really usefull mods, but if I can make a few bucks without ripping people off and make people happy then im definitely a happy camper. I just wish I had more time to do things like this. Probably since I worked out all of the bugs, I may do another set to really see how long in reality it will take me without all the setbacks. YOU my friend aren't that far from me (sacramento)..kinda nice to have some fellow z31 members near me.
    My Build Thread