NISMO heads for the VG30E/ET

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by 1sikz
    Not one offs. The Pond Racer had a set as well..... I guess that would technically be two sets. So, photos of three sets are in existence.
    dude. these things weren't casted in such low volume.
    there has to be a boat load of these heads that went through the ringer and were eventually tossed into the garbage.

the nismo type parts were used in quite a couple of applications. race teams generally had many spares.

I was referring to the valve covers
    Originally posted by adamvann3
    Hmm I normally jack off my rear x-member.

1sikz wrote: I was referring to the valve covers
    all those motors came with the same or similar style mag valve covers because of the rockers.

[quote]Careless wrote:
    all those motors came with the same or similar style mag valve covers because of the rockers.
    The 1000hp GTP-ZX Turbo in the video that talks about it briefly shows the Z31 stamped steel covers.... :-?

But yet the one pictured on a stand at that place has the "mag" ones.

[youtube:2z7alejq]JhXSJro5k8k[/youtube:2z7alejq]
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

[quote]michaelp wrote: [quote=Careless]
    The 1000hp GTP-ZX Turbo in the video that talks about it briefly shows the Z31 stamped steel covers.... :-?

But yet the one pictured on a stand at that place has the "mag" ones.

[youtube:3dcrvasa]JhXSJro5k8k[/youtube:3dcrvasa]
    Most likely has valve cover spacers to raise the covers up.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

You can have the heads, I want some info/pics/specs on the super main girdle of death they used. I've seen one in person and holy god do I want one.
    shooting for power, but coming up short.

hoov100 wrote: You can have the heads, I want some info/pics/specs on the super main girdle of death they used. I've seen one in person and holy god do I want one.
    Its unnecessary, the stock girdle is plenty strong enough. I'd be willing to bet that was more to act as part of the "oil pan" with the dry sump than adding strength to the girdle.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by hoov100
    You can have the heads, I want some info/pics/specs on the super main girdle of death they used. I've seen one in person and holy god do I want one.
    Its unnecessary, the stock girdle is plenty strong enough. I'd be willing to bet that was more to act as part of the "oil pan" with the dry sump than adding strength to the girdle.
    Strong enough for what? those cars where built to run at 100% for at least a few hours for practice, qualifying and the race, I doubt they would add that much weight and time into something thats "strong enough" just to help guide some oil or make it easier to mount a dry sump pan. My guess is the stock girdle flexes under sustained load at 7-9k RPM and eventually breaks the main bolts/studs.

Not trying to sound like an asshole or know it all prick, but there is a big difference between what they where doing and the dyno/drag/street queens making half the power that gets boasted about today on the z31 forums.

the girdle was definitely for strength. there is no other reason for it.
    RIPSNZ has made a custom lower girdle for their high revving RB30/33 motors in much the same fashion.
    most american small blocks have a girdle option available for the same reason.

and the SPOON B16B civic that was built to run at 10k rpm was fitted with a girdle because the stock main cap system could not keep the distributor from vibrating and causing spark issues at 10k rpm. The solution was to fit a girdle that held the crank put and prevented it from moving or the block from flexing.

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by Careless
    all those motors came with the same or similar style mag valve covers because of the rockers.But yet the one pictured on a stand at that place has the "mag" ones.
    it's possible that this was before the Jessel developed valve-train components, therefore there was no need for it. nice find- you keen eye, you!

[quote]hoov100 wrote: [quote=michaelp]
    Originally posted by hoov100
    Strong enough for what? those cars where built to run at 100% for at least a few hours for practice, qualifying and the race, I doubt they would add that much weight and time into something thats "strong enough" just to help guide some oil or make it easier to mount a dry sump pan. My guess is the stock girdle flexes under sustained load at 7-9k RPM and eventually breaks the main bolts/studs.

Not trying to sound like an asshole or know it all prick, but there is a big difference between what they where doing and the dyno/drag/street queens making half the power that gets boasted about today on the z31 forums.
    VG30DETTs have the same main girdles as VG30E(T)s, and there are hundreds of them making 900+whp and revving high.

michaelp wrote: VG30DETTs have the same main girdles as VG30E(T)s, and there are hundreds of them making 900+whp and revving high.
    Not in a full length IMSA race, they aren't. Let's be a little more realistic. There's a reason why the crank is forged and the girdle is integrated into the pan rail. They didnt WANT the cranks to be an issue.

Beat me to it. ^

The factory girdle is good for how old the motor is and for most people it will be fine for their power. But being a two bolt main I would imagine the main caps flexing under sustained load would be an issue of concern for a development team who is spending millions of dollars in R&D for a motor.

I dont think they're even a problem under high horsepower applications. I think they're a problem under sustained high-rpm driving, just like almost any engine without a girdle is. case and point-> RIPSNZ old 240z RB30 car used stock main girdle and stock USED main BOLTS to hold the motor together at 1200hp worth of beatings. and that's on a longer motor, with the same girdle design as the commuter car SOHC vg engines. but only for repeated springs of 9 seconds or less. not quite the same as 500, 700, or even 10000hp going almost non-stop for half a day, with constant fluctuation in rpm.

anyways. post pics of the heads!

Got the heads today. Every head porters dream. Not sure I can fit the valve size that I want. Should be able to get at least 110 cfm per sq. in. of valve area.

Post some better pics! Also, are the valve angles the same as stock? Rumor had it theyre cast at a different angle so they could fit larger valves??
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

+1 on pics! I am very interested to see the port angles.
    88SS - #300 - http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?18360