S13 coilover adapters.... groupbuy anyone?

michaelp wrote: …you'd still have fubar'd geometry.
    Like what?

I would still like to know if the adapter tubes are proprietary or not. Are all coilovers threaded different or could you weld on the adapter tubes and still use any brand of coilovers. I could understand if they were proprietary, from a business stand point, but the threads seems like something that would be fairly standard across all brands.
    私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
    ・1984 300zx N/A

Those sleeve adapters from stance/powertrix are custom for our application only at the bottom, at the top they are standard coilover body thread used by other brands like kts/hsd …

When I say bottom, this isn't the first car that uses weld-on adapter sleeves to accept coilovers, most mac-strut cars of the era are in the same boat, rx7's, ae86's, the difference being the original tube diameter they weld to

My s13 adapter is also custom for the application, but again with a little more or less lathing, it would work for all the same vehicles the sleeve adapters would, with the caveat of needing an extra part to attach to the coilover (the s13 bracket with the two holes, the part jason welded directly to his spindle before z31 kits came out)

littlebunnyfoofoo;334046 wrote:

This is like solving a programming issue on Windows 98 when Windows 7 is available.
    Actually, it's more like linux; you'd be able to compile your suspension kernel using whatever coil-over source you want.

G-E;334212 wrote: Those sleeve adapters from stance/powertrix are custom for our application only at the bottom, at the top they are standard coilover body thread used by other brands like kts/hsd …
    So why not just use sleeves? Your setup leaves more room for error in orientation where as a sleeve doesn't. The only thing that I can see being an advantage is not having to thread off the spindle to swap coilovers.

RB20ZR;334229 wrote: So why not just use sleeves? Your setup leaves more room for error in orientation where as a sleeve doesn't. The only thing that I can see being an advantage is not having to thread off the spindle to swap coilovers.
    G-E's wording wasn't the best choice. It is not STANDARD thread for some manufacturers. Some manufacturers just chose to use the same thread as one another… so there are like 4 coil overs that you can use with the threaded tubes. Not all coilovers. Which means if you like one brand of coilovers over another or if you like buying cheap sets from throw-away s13's, you could use any you like with this adapter. Sounds like a cool option to me.

I really don't see the issue with this. I've been wondering why no one made a product like this in the passed, and I briefly remember discussing it with G-E.

I think it's a good idea as far as affordable options go. heck, you don't even need to weld the thing in. you can just drill a hole through the side and tap it and shove a heavy duty bolt into the side of it to keep it put. then if you ever feel like welding spindles, you could just remove the adapter and do that if you wish.

TEIN EDFC on a Z31 would be pretty cool, especially for Toronto roads. heh

Careless;334225 wrote: Actually, it's more like linux; you'd be able to compile your suspension kernel using whatever coil-over source you want.
    Haha! Love this. XD
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you…"

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
    Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21…-build-thread/
    -'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…)build-thread!

Careless wrote: I really don't see the issue with this. I've been wondering why no one made a product like this in the passed, and I briefly remember discussing it with G-E.
    We both thought of this, and as I remember I said that if I was going to do it, it would have to give us more than the benefit of just swapping a cheap coilover, it needed to have more value

So at the drawing board aka solidworks, I started pondering the implications, offsetting the holes to increase or decrease static camber (which could do some interesting things if the top camber plate was oriented differently), then I thought about the wheel clearance improvement (someone can run higher offset wheels), and that all meshed nicely with my planned control arm/steering project… after I made the thread I realized that rotating it will have other interesting side effects on camber in a turn, except I know only 3 people here could understand how/why, no one else would consider it

So here it is… revision 2 will be for the narrower inner diameter tubes… PM me if you're interested in a set

I really want to see this in action. Even if you have to mod other parts of the suspension, thats something Z owners should be prepared for anyway. I mean unless we start going low just to hardpark and look cool. I don't see the problem with modifying other aspects of our suspension to retain the correct geometry while reaping the benefits like increased steering angle, etc.

I'm really interested in this setup and would like to run it if it can be proven to not cause issues. Like I said even if other parts need to be modded, whats so hard about modding as necessary and compiling a mod list just like any other upgrade. Once a list is made anyone wanting to go this route can simply see what needs to be done and decide if they would rather go this route or use adapter tubes and forget about it.
    私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
    ・1984 300zx N/A

What would be the point of a replacement spindle? Our steering arm is already separate so as to allow custom steering solutions, the high value turbo hubs are rendered unimportant by my bbk, and of course that leaves the strut…

If you've ever seen the design, you'd know the cost of machining a kingpin like ours vs. a 240sx is much higher, the complexity of operations and the length are a big challenge, cheap z31 owners are the biggest challenge of all hahaha

At least this adapter can save you money…

Raven;334302 wrote: I'm really interested in this setup and would like to run it if it can be proven to not cause issues. Like I said even if other parts need to be modded, whats so hard about modding as necessary and compiling a mod list just like any other upgrade.
    The mod list outside the obvious cutting & welding, is drilling a new hole pattern in the strut tower to suit the s13 coilover.... you only require "more" if you want to change the geometry, which is possible if you're smart

I don't have any coilovers to try this with, but I can do the same as the brake kit, and that is offer a lucky sob a chance to get one, I'll sell 1 set welded and painted.... who wants to volunteer who actually has s13 coilovers to try and willing to get a full alignment chart?

any updates?
    Love z31's as much as I do? Check out my build: http://www.zdriver.com.au/index.php/…__80#entry2219

Monday I'll get an eta, then I'll get things rolling

I had this adapter idea for a while and was just getting this together to make a few Z parts. This was one of the ideas but wayyy cheaper. Need to make one that you can use either FC OR 240 coils. FC coils, just swap top hats, Idk about 240 coils. I was going to price the adapter around $75.00 at most. I think Getting something under $100.00 key. Hind site, maybe something can be done with these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160947250283
    89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
    07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

Cool camber plates, funny enough though, I haven't been able to find M10 press-in studs…

And as I said earlier in the thread, it's not the top hat that's the challenge to fit, whatever pattern yours uses, it's just a matter of drilling -- the bottom on the other hand is specific

UPDATE: I should be picking up some front s13 colovers to take pictures with