S13/S14/S15 Subframe Conversion Kit GB-STANCE MULTILINK!!

• Re: S13/S14/S15 Subframe Conversion Kit GB-STANCE MULTILINK!

ShamWow wrote: Currently sold out, due to a shortage of the "studs"

If I machine more studs I can get another couple kits together.
    Well dude, if you could make some studs(fingers crossed) soon, consider a kit already sold

Ill try to keep an eye on this thread for updates
    87T, My build thread http://z31performance.com/forum/z31-…lee-s-87t-rb26

ShamWow wrote: Currently sold out, due to a shortage of the "studs"

If I machine more studs I can get another couple kits together.
    ah crap, I thought you had more kits…I PM'd you too. Now Im sad. I wanted one. If you get the studs made let me know please.

have seen two examples of s14 rear subframe upgrades, however suspension is so long that the rear towers needed height extensions, making this a big complex upgrade.
    As such should I be going S13 subframe instead?

Arms and other bits for adjusting width, toe etc?
    How much of the standard s13 rear suspension can I use?

Looking at getting this underway very soon along with rb26 update.

Thanks guys.
    Love z31's as much as I do? Check out my build: http://www.zdriver.com.au/index.php/…__80#entry2219

Check the sticky on the subject
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Pauls wrote: have seen two examples of s14 rear subframe upgrades, however suspension is so long that the rear towers needed height extensions, making this a big complex upgrade.
    As such should I be going S13 subframe instead?

Arms and other bits for adjusting width, toe etc?
    How much of the standard s13 rear suspension can I use?

Looking at getting this underway very soon along with rb26 update.

Thanks guys.
    Subframe isn't the issue here, it's the struts (coilovers). You do not have to modify your rear upper mounts as long as you use s13 coilovers, or z31 coilovers (available from Stance).

"…i think bov needs oil, its not closing fast enough so the car dies when you come off of boost…" -Automotive Genius

cool, was concerned as read somewhere (have been doing a lot of searching) that the longer struts allowed for better ride and travel, as opposed to bottoming out and harsher ride through reduced suspension travel.

A guy in Adelaide Australia did the mod along with extended rear towers, which from what I could see was a copy of what another dude in America did.
    This got me thinking what are the true negatives of not extending?

I am quite hands on but am finding understanding this challenging :-(.

Any links would be appreciated as am set on getting this underway in the next few weeks.

Thanks guys.
    Love z31's as much as I do? Check out my build: http://www.zdriver.com.au/index.php/…__80#entry2219

Pauls wrote: cool, was concerned as read somewhere (have been doing a lot of searching) that the longer struts allowed for better ride and travel, as opposed to bottoming out and harsher ride through reduced suspension travel.
    I would doubt that bottoming out the coils would be an issue. As long as you don't preload the springs and reduce the travel with your adjustments. The amount of travel that's actually experienced is only a fraction of what's available, especially given the higher spring/damping rates. Talk to Butter regarding this modification, he used s14 coilovers.

Butter's build thread ------> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9132

"…i think bov needs oil, its not closing fast enough so the car dies when you come off of boost…" -Automotive Genius

Yeah don't worry about the rear uppers unless you go with the Z32 alum. knuckles. S13 works fine.
    88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
    87T 2+2 auto,stock

I'm severely upset that Mike isn't making these kits right now, as I just picked up an S13 subframe for my Z

I'll keep checking back, and hopefully some kits will be made soon.

cjmayo wrote: I'm severely upset that Mike isn't making these kits right now, as I just picked up an S13 subframe for my Z

if you're that upset, you can make your own kit by using carriage bolts if you REALLY wanted to put it on your car. it wasn't a thought at first because the idea was that the milled studs were welded directly to the rear diff mount bar, but since they have to be lowered and shimmed up with metal… a longe carriage bolt that has both a proper shoulder to accomodate the bushing bore, and a square under-head hex that you could mill down to a similar shape as the MikeG studs could be welded and plate steel tied over it with some more welds. it would be similar. infact, you could get a carriage bolt that is long enough that you can have it sized down and re-threaded to fine-pitch if you REALLY wanted to have it done.

in total it would cost you less than what mike pays for in materials for the milled studs, but you'll be figuring it all out yourself. his kit is well worth the price, given the complete stock depletion- as you have already noted.

how bad do you want it?

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by cjmayo
    I'm severely upset that Mike isn't making these kits right now, as I just picked up an S13 subframe for my Z

if you're that upset, you can make your own kit by using carriage bolts if you REALLY wanted to put it on your car. it wasn't a thought at first because the idea was that the milled studs were welded directly to the rear diff mount bar, but since they have to be lowered and shimmed up with metal… a longe carriage bolt that has both a proper shoulder to accomodate the bushing bore, and a square under-head hex that you could mill down to a similar shape as the MikeG studs could be welded and plate steel tied over it with some more welds. it would be similar. infact, you could get a carriage bolt that is long enough that you can have it sized down and re-threaded to fine-pitch if you REALLY wanted to have it done.

in total it would cost you less than what mike pays for in materials for the milled studs, but you'll be figuring it all out yourself. his kit is well worth the price, given the complete stock depletion- as you have already noted.

how bad do you want it?
    Not sure if he wants to use a carriage bolt, typically they don't have a high rockwell rating, If he could find a rated carriage bolt now were talking.

I actually did this S13 subframe conversion on my 85T(that I junked), I used grade 8 long bolts(don't remember the size) and welded them to the rear subframe mount once everything was all plumbed up. Mike's kit make the whole job a lot simpler, plus there well put together and also, its great to support him.
    87T, My build thread http://z31performance.com/forum/z31-…lee-s-87t-rb26

cjmayo wrote: I'm severely upset that Mike isn't making these kits right now, as I just picked up an S13 subframe for my Z

Toss up a thread in the WTB section. I am sure someone will sell you their kit.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Spooledup300z wrote: Not sure if he wants to use a carriage bolt, typically they don't have a high rockwell rating, If he could find a rated carriage bolt now were talking.

I actually did this S13 subframe conversion on my 85T(that I junked), I used grade 8 long bolts(don't remember the size) and welded them to the rear subframe mount once everything was all plumbed up. Mike's kit make the whole job a lot simpler, plus there well put together and also, its great to support him.
    The place I go to has large shoulder carriage bolts that are 12.9 black oxide / nitride bolts. The reason I mention carriage is because of the head style. it has a round bulb head that you can have milled down to be almost exactly like the studs made. But really it's the rest of the kit that has the thought put into it- and it's definitely worth buying for 300 if you can find it.

Time is money. Once all is said and done, you buy the bolts for 20 bucks a piece, go to have them milled/rethreaded if desired, and you're no more better off as far as spending goes.

[quote]adamvann3 wrote:
    Originally posted by cjmayo

Toss up a thread in the WTB section. I am sure someone will sell you their kit.
    That, or study those members' conversions that did not utilize the kit. If you understand the goals and methods that underly the conversion, you should be able to come up with something yourself. Of course, it will take longer. If you really want to get it done, you'll get it done.

to be honest the swap is pretty damn easy and straight forward, hardest part is getting stuff lined up, I was going to buy one of mike's kits for the prettiness factor but realized fuck it.................why?!?! because Daily Race Car! mine is pretty much the same as mike's though just without all the machined nice parts!
    1uz Swapped, lowered, flaked out '86 z31
    '72 Datsun 510 4dr, ka24de-T, slammed resto mod
    '84 z31 turbo, coils, wheels a.k.a the gfs weekend car
    '86 na2t parts for now a.k.a eventually will get running with a/c daily
    '83 280zx project backburner a.k.a ls turbo drag car one day
    Custom vg30et tube chassis drift exocet project